Swimsuit season is nearly upon us, which can strike fear in the heart of even the most confident of women. Choosing the right cut, color and pattern are going to have a huge impact on how your body looks, just as with any other item of clothing you purchase.
Luckily there are some tips you can follow to find the perfect swimsuit that’s going to flatter your body and help you enjoy your summer:
- Mix and match bottom and top separates can be a great option, particularly if you’re more top or bottom heavy. When you go for mix and match separates you have the opportunity to find the perfect fit, as opposed to being stuck with one part of your bathing suit that doesn’t fit. If you’re uncomfortable with a two-piece suit, there are a number of two-pieces that actually provide the coverage of a one-piece. If you’re top heavy you can also opt for a bathing suit that has cup sizes, versus the standard Small, Medium, Large sizing.
- If your goal is disguising your tummy, detailing can actually be your friend. Choose things like a shirred waist, or color-blocking on your suit, which are very popular trends in swimwear right now. This will accentuate your waist and take the attention off your stomach. If you want a tummy-friendly two-piece, you’re in luck this season because of the high-waist trend. Choose a high-waist bottom that will camouflage your tummy and still give you a sexy summer silhouette.
- If you have larger hips or thighs, choose a cut that’s high on your leg. This is the best way to automatically shrink your hips and thighs and also elongate your legs.
- If you’re worried about a flat chest, choose bathing suit tops with lots of details, like ruffles. These will add volume to your top half and balance it out with the bottom portion of your body.
- If you have a large bust line that you would like to minimize, halter bathing suits are great because they give you a lot of lift, and make sure it has underwire for even more support. It’s also a good idea to choose a suit with wide straps if you have a large bust line because it will balance you out and provide the illusion of more even proportions.
- If you want to emphasize your butt, you can choose a bathing suit bottom that has ruffles or other details. A boy cut is also good for giving your butt a little more fullness and lifting it.
- If you want to make a boyish or athletic figure look curvier, string bikinis are a great option. The thinner the string, the better. You should also choose light colors if you want to add a bit more shape to your body.
- If you want to create an hourglass figure, choose a swimsuit that’s lighter on the sides and darker in the middle. You can also choose a swimsuit with cut-outs on the side that emphasize or create the illusion of an hourglass.
What are your favorite tips for choosing a great bathing suit?